As important as it is to be able to play your favorite game of golf on the court, it is equally important to be able to enjoy this game when you are riding on the court, minus calling the shots. But for that enjoyment and safety, you need to ensure that the golf cart you will be riding on has side mirrors on it among other things.
So, how to install a golf cart side mirror? For this, all you have to do is hold up a bracket on the cart where you want to place the mirror and then screw it onto the poles with self-tapping screws. The ball mount on the bracket will help you to further secure the mirror in position and move it as required.
Remember to put the mirror on the eye level. If you keep it higher or lower than that, you will have to lift your head up high or nod it lower, which is what you don’t want when you are on a smooth drive.
How To Install Golf Cart Side Mirrors?
To install the mirror, you will need the following:
- Driver-side mirror
- Passenger-side mirror
- Drill and drill bits
- Phillips Head Screwdriver
- Measuring tape
Before you start the mirror installation, make sure that the cart key is in the OFF position. If you have an electric cart, then put the cart in TOW mode. The parking brake should be at your service while the installation is completed.
To install the mirror, take the following steps:
- Step out of the cart and hold the mirror that you will place on the driver’s side in its position. If you need to install a windshield on the cart as well, you will have to do some thinking before you decide on the best mounting location for your mirror.
- When you have placed the mirror in the right position, you can use a marking device to pinpoint the position where you want the mounting holes to be. Now keep the mirror aside in a safe place.
- Take an ⅛-inch drill bit to drill above and below the marked spot on the driver-side strut. Make sure that do not push your way through the strut to the end but only drill on the surface level.
- Using sandpaper, get rid of the rough edges.
- Make use of the mounting hardware and attach the mirror in position with the screws not too tight.
- Repeat this process for the passenger side mirror. But before that, make sure you use
a measuring tape across the driver-side mirror to the passenger-side location where you want to attach the latter kind of mirror for an even positioning.
How To Install Golf Cart Side Mirror With LED Blinker?
If your golf cart side mirror is like the Rhox LED Mirror, then take into consideration the following items:
- Cordless drill and drill bits
- Spliced connectors and crimpers.
- Oe multimeter
- LED Mirrors
- Mounting hardware and ties
The installation instructions are as follows:
- You have to go through the same process of drilling ⅛-inch holes in the strut as you did in the previous method. But this time, you have to drill an additional ¼-inch hole for the wires that will be running down the strut. You can use snake feed wires for this purpose.
- Loosen the mounting hardware and attach the bracket of the LED Mirror where you want it to be. Tighten the bracket with the hardware that is provided.
- Unplug the headlight and use a working multimeter for finding the power and the ground required by the blinker. This is what will light up the LED mirror. Now it is time to engage the mirror blinker.
- Attach the black wire from the mirror to the wire connector and attach the red wire to the harness wire marked 12v(+). Reattach this harness to the headlight.
- Repeat these steps for the passenger side mirror and you’re done.
How To Install LED Mirrors With Turn Signal Flashers?
To install the LED mirrors that have turn signal flashers, you have to use the same steps as installing a golf cart mirror with an LED blinker.
Here’s what you have to do if you have a regular old mirror in that place and you want an upgrade:
- Unbolt the mirrors on the cart now and remove them. The existing holes will give you the top and wire hole but will have no bottom hole so drill that.
- Now insert a wire through the wire hole in the middle. Remove a Philips screw from below the support and take out the grommet. The wire will come out from the lower bolt below. Attach your mirror and then once again, insert another wire to the front of your golf cart, up and then over the back of it to the housing of the headlights.
- Aim for the central console and pull the wires from both sides. Split the wire ends and attach 4 spade terminals to them. Find the signal connectors and turn them off. Now connect female spade connectors to the wires. Clip them tight with pliers.
- Join the black wire of the cart mirror to that of the signal connectors and do the same with the red wire. Turn on the signal connector now. Test if it shows left and right signals properly.
- Use electrical tape to wrap around the connections.
What Are Different Types Of Golf Mirrors?
You will find different types of golf cart mirrors available in the market. Some of them have been mentioned below:
Single Rear View Golf Cart Mirror
The first one on the list is a single rear-view mirror. This one is quite easy way to install. You can easily adjust it as you need when you are driving the cart. The pivots can move up, down, and sidewise for your viewing.
Most of these have a dimension of 3.9″ x 10.5″. This means that you can get a good view around the back of you. Such mirrors also come with mounting kits so you will have no trouble installing them on the cart.
Single Large Rear View Mirror
The second one is a larger kind of the first one, so you can call it a variation of the single rear-view mirror. Then why get it? Because some people prefer a view from their golf cart mirror that is like the one you have in your passenger car.
For them, the 16.5″ wide large golf cart mirror is the best bet. It can be easily mounted using a metal bracket and can be attached to the golf cart of most makes. Your field of vision with such a mirror is wide, so you can have sort of a panorama to monitor.
Installation is as simple as anything with the 2 self-tapping screws on the metal crossbar. So you have fully adjustable, great mirrors with a good viewing angle, great price, and quality that work fine as well.
LED Golf Cart Side Mirror
Next, you have the golf cart side mirror with LED or blinkers. This one is almost as if you have your car mirror installed on your golf cart, only with LED in it. If you like to play golf till late and need help riding through the court with lights from the side mirror helping you along, these golf cart mirrors are great.
A lot of golf courts are full of people who are rollerblading or say biking or maybe simply walking. It is important to acknowledge everyone in the court, and if the installation of a side mirror with blinkers helps you do that, you can surely install this one!
These fit most golf cart. models. These mounted mirrors are also adjustable and come with non-glare lenses.
Folding Golf Cart Side Mirror
If you frequently find the need to park your golf car in tight spaces, this one is just right for you. It can be adjusted for the best view whenever you need. This mirror folds like regular convex mirrors on the golf cart rear view mirror options.
How much does a new golf cart cost?
A golf cart can be between around $4,000-$5,000. However, if you will use the cart on more surfaces than just your regular golf course, you might need to spend as much as $10,000 for the customization and upgrades of the cart. Getting Yamaha golf carts or others will actually depend on the brand.
Why do I need to know the features of the cart mirror?
If you know what features you want you can easily get the preferred look, construction, durability, additional golf cart accessories, and other requirements you require from your cart. Only make sure that you know these thoroughly and not discover your cart’s features as you go, because it may not be what you want.
How fast can my golf cart go?
A standard golf cart will take you 12-14 miles per hour. However, an upgrade might increase this limit for you if you need it.
What are the specific requirements for a street-legal golf cart?
It actually depends on the state that you live in. What may be considered legal in a small golf cart community may not be the same as what a larger one requires and vice versa. So for a street legal golf cart, you have to do your homework on the insurance, taxes, and other registration criteria that need fulfilling. Street legal golf carts usually need to have a windshield, lights on brakes, seatbelts, head and taillights, a horn, turn signals, and a working rear-view mirror on the club car.